Wednesday, November 01, 2006

It's good to be home!




Well, it seems like it has been such a long time, but we are back home in Palm Desert and trying to adjust back into this time zone. Between here and Japan there is a 17 hour time difference, so we are functioning slightly or as Jim says, "our brains are swimming around in our heads". That pretty much says it all. We went out to do some grocery shopping and I couldn't believe how slowly I was driving. Your reflexes are not what they should be and I should have stayed home, but we need food and need to stay awake a few more hours to try and get back on track.

I just downloaded our pictures onto the computer and they turned out really nice. The battery died in my camera on the very last day so that worked out well. We had an unbelievably great time and enjoyed our friends, Taka & Chibi. We really have fun together and it is like a crash immersion course in Japanese when we are there. We learned several new words and phrases and I kept saying over and over what all the elevators say as the doors are closing "do wa ga shimanimas!". It was so sing-songy that it was fun to say.

I kept a bit of a journal on the day-to-day events during our trip, but I will put them on blog posts at a later time. Hope all of you have been doing well and it looks like everyone had a great Halloween. All of the newscasters on the Japanese TV stations were in costume and they kept saying "treeeeeek oh treeeeeeeet" in a really strong Japanese accent. It was very cute!!

4 comments:

Dar said...

Oh Barbie!!! Those photos are GREAT!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!! Darling pictures! I laughed at how slow you said you were driving! That's how I drove when I took Dad to his truck this morning! Hahhaa...See you real soon!! Love, Mom

April said...

So glad to have you back! Love your pictures. I hope you can get some sleep before having to rush right back in to things. Glad you had a good time!

April said...

ps. Tell us where you took those pictures. I love the one of you guys in front of the wall mural. That's beautiful. And are those turtles in the other one. Really cute!

Aunty Barbs said...

Thanks for your comments! The picture of the mural was on the wall in the lobby of the hotel we stayed at in Nara City. It was a Japanese style hotel. Nara City is full of Buddhist Temples so we took a night tourbus from the hotel to look at them with the lights on the buildings. Very old too - about 1400 years old! Amazing. The little animals are like wolverines Jim said. Taka could only say the Japanese name for them and to us they looked like bears. Who knows, but many of the homes in that area had these little guys on their porches. Folklore type stuff I think.