Sunday, June 08, 2008

We have a new WARD!

Start breathing folks, yes I'm writing again. Our stake re-organized several of the wards and actually disolved 2 wards including the Seal Beach Ward. It was kind of sad but we found out that most of our existing ward would be in with the Los Alamitos Ward. We have lost all of the Leisure World members and the members living down in Old Town Seal Beach. Today was the first day in our new ward and they had to open up the back partition into the cultural hall. I actually remember visiting Steph's ward in Rancho Santa Margarita that was like that. The ward clerk counted 326 people in sacrament meeting!!! That is unheard of around here. The bishopric was on alert and told us were the classes were going to be and that they would be playing it by ear. I think they were worried that the Relief Society would have to meet in the chapel!! We didn't have to end up doing that, but every last seat was filled. It's an exciting change and I've grown accostomed to change in the past 5 years, but a lot of people are sure missing their friends.

Does anyone remember when the Orange Stake split and we were in the "New" Orange 4th ward? I was dying to walk by the Primary room to see how things were going and they had about 25 kids lined up with their backs to the closets in the hallway while they readjusted all the chairs and rolling chalkboards for the Senior Primary. It looked a little chaotic so I turned back and headed to Relief Society where I belonged. It's a strange feeling going to R.S. after being in Primary for so long.

Last night Jim and I had the opportunity to attend the Masters of Harmony (men's barbershop chorus) perform at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA. I had never been to the new facility and was so anxious and excited to go. They were combining with the Univ of Michigan Men's Glee Chorus which performed the first hour then the Masters of Harmony. It was a fabulous show and we were in the 3rd row really close to the stage. The acoustics in that building are amazing and the feeling there is really nice. There were some similarities with the new Segerstrom Hall near So. Coast, but it didn't have the pretentious feel of all the marble, etc. It was very comfortable to be there.

We have been car shopping for a hybrid car that will lesson the gas bill every month. We have had good luck with Toyota's in the past and are looking at the Camry hybrid. It says it gets 35 mpg which is great. My motorcycle is in getting tuned up and ready to go. I figured out a route that would avoid the freeway and would be less dangerous to get to work. With the gas prices this high, you have to do something!

Hope everyone is doing great and had a wonderful Sunday!

3 comments:

Buffy said...

Lady, you need to write more often :D!! I love reading what's going on with you. Sounds like a big ward!! We are in desperate need of more families (in my opinion). I wish our wards would split. They are so off balance. Oh well in time I'm sure.

How fun to go see the barbershop chorus. Sounds like a neat place to watch a show. Good luck on the car shopping. Something has got to give in the gas price area :D. I hate it!

Amie said...

I am probably one of the few that like ward splits. I like the newness and starting over... maybe it is just because I haven't lost any one I couldn't live without.

I love concerts. It was fung to hear about yours.

Gas prices make me grouchy!

Dar said...

Boy, I've had fun reading all your posts and the comments. Dad is in here entering all his invoices and deposits into the new computer....So, while he does that I read to him. He's getting a kick out of it! (all the activity that you're into.) Love you! Mom