Monday, January 22, 2007

Job hunting has begun....ugh!

This will be short and sweet, but I wanted to get everyone up-to-date on things here in SB.

Sunday was my first day at my new ward and it happened to be Stake Conference. Our building is the stake center for the Long Beach East Stake. There are about 10 wards that make up our stake. Our building only has 2 wards that meet - Los Alamitos and Seal Beach wards. We meet at 9am, so Jim will be happy about that. He can't wait for me to get back and spend the day home with him. I've told him that he could be sitting with me almost all morning, but that still hasn't been "flying" hahaha. I'll keep trying.

They had a wonderful stake choir that sang about 4 numbers and they sounded sooooo great. The volume and quality of the sound was enormous. I got there at 9am and sat and listened to the choir practice before the meeting started. A lady sitting in front of me was commenting on how they sounded and I agreed with her and said that I'd love to be up there singing right with them. She said I should go up and I quickly informed her that I had just moved into the area and didn't know anyone. She took down my name and number and said she would give it to the director (who was a close friend of hers). I ended up going up after the meeting and introducing myself to the director to let her know of my interest in singing in the choir. Our stake has a special temple day in LA to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the LA temple. Our stake will hold a special meeting in the assembly hall on the 3rd floor and the stake choir will be singing. Yeah!!!! I will be right there with them!! I can't wait.

This afternoon I met with a lady at the employment agency who I was referred to by a woman at Jim's work. The lady at the agency was so nice and it really turned out to be a great experience except for the numerous tests she gave me. I hadn't worked with Word or Excel in such a long time, but I scored in the high 80's on both (a little higher on Word). I was shocked! The test kept saying incorrect a lot and giving another shot because you can do the same thing different ways on those programs. I was happy and she said she'd be calling some of her clients to schedule interviews for me. I feel relieved that this initial meeting today is over. I hate taking those tests on the computer that they give you.

Well I thought this would be short and sweet, but I guess my fingers are typing faster after that test this afternoon. hahaha

Have a great week everyone and I'm looking forward to Thurs. to go up and see Steph. Dad is coming too!!!

6 comments:

Buffy said...

Lady, I'm so excited to have you and Dad coming. This will be so fun!!! Todd doesn't have a meeting Thursday night so he will be home..yeah. Our ward/stake also has a day set for the temple in the solemn assembly room on the third floor. Our date is Dec. 1, 2007. It will be awesome!! I can't wait. What a special experience. Good luck on your job hunt. I know what you mean about all of those tests. I don't think I could pass a one right now. Ask me about diapers, poop, formula, kids fighting, laundry, picking up messes all day and about making food and I think I would pass with flying colors!!! hahaha:) See you soon lady.

April said...

The choir in the temple sounds great! You will love that! I've got to come out and see your new house. Grammy's really disappointed in me I think for not coming out there for awhile. It's hard with a kindergartener. I always have to be around to pick her up at 11:45. That really takes up the weekdays anyway. That's great to go through the agency. I'm not surprised you did well. You've been at the computer for years haven't you? Well, have to dry my hair before I get pneumonia! Have a good day. Thanks for continuing to update on here. I love to check in and see what's going on out your way.

Aunty Barbs said...

Yes April, you do need to get out here, but I understand about the kindergarten issue. Next year will be easier for you.
I'm glad Todd will be around - it is always so much fun to hear him talk about the ol days, tv commentary, food recipes and the like. I'm sure he'll be in rare form with RB in the mix!! haha

April said...

That's sounds like a blast up there with dad at Steph's and all the gang. I heard from a little bird you are having second thoughts about womens conference. WHAT??? Now don't even go there. I've got one word for you.....SIS'-STUH! It's such a fun getaway! Pictures of me before and after the concert last year should qualify me for women's conference poster child where a woman can really go to RELAX!

Aunty Barbs said...

I really want to get a job and am worried about them not wanting to hire me if I "already" need days off. That was my only hesitation. Truly you are the poster child of RR BYU style!!! I need to put this into perspective I think. I'm just feeling like it will take me a long time to find a job and I don't want to "ruin" it. Give me your expertise on this so I'll feel better about everything PLEASE!!!

April said...

Well, the old saying is: "When looking for a job, it takes one month per $10k of annual pay you want to make." I would plan to go. If they offer the job, say something like, "I am happy to accept the position, but I had a short family trip on the calendar I take every year, that would involve a Wednesday-Friday at the first of May. Would that be all right with you? I'm not expecting payment for those days?" People know that everybody, part-timers, salaried people, everybody takes time off for something somewhere. People love plenty of notice. If I liked someone enough to hire them, I wouldn't mind at all having 4 mos. notice to need to cover them for three days. Dad is proof enough that ignoring the receivables for days (years) does not a business kill. Hahahaha!! Go with your feelings. Love you!